Every fortnight, the Network of Wellbeing (NOW) collates the offers being made at the intersection of wellbeing and social change at this time. In this post we share resources to nourish our hopes and highlight beacons of inspiration and positive action as we navigate these times together.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” – Maya Angelou
We are living in extraordinary times. And in this pivotal moment, there’s incredible potential for real and transformational change.
People and communities have been propelled into action. In this crisis, we have seen an explosion of altruism; we’ve also seen an explosion of learning, unlearning, dialogue, protests and even policy change.
As a species we have an innate ability to cooperate; more than any other animal can. Could the cooperation that we are witnessing so profoundly at this time hold the key to transformational change? And could this cooperation drive collective action towards a just society that values the needs of all people equally?
Here’s our latest curation of support, responses, perspectives and events from across the globe.
Supporting Your Mental Health and Wellbeing:
- How to Practice Mindfulness When Stressed or Overwhelmed, Monday 6 July at 10:30am. This workshop offers an accessible introduction to mindfulness techniques to help you build resilience and wellbeing. A collaboration between Network of Wellbeing (NOW) and Eden Project Communities
- Compassion for Now: Mindful Approaches to Mental Health and Wellbeing, Tuesday 7 July at 7:30pm. Explore how tools from ancient and contemporary wisdom can help us deal with the challenges we face in these times
- The Positive Psychology Foundations Course, starting Friday 17 July. Learn how to feel good, function well and flourish. Early bird rates until 10 July.
- How hobbies and learning new skills can help us manage our wellbeing. Discover the benefits of having a creative focus
- Free Happiness Resources from the Museum of Happiness. A toolkit of videos and meditations to support you in challenging times
- About the paradox of choice. Can the quality of life improve if we have less choices available to us?
Finding New Perspectives:
- Prospects for a Wellbeing Economy, Tuesday 7th July at 4pm. Schumacher host this online event with Katherine Trebeck
- Connect at one of our Wellbeing Together Coffee Mornings held fortnightly on Mondays at 11am. This is an informal opportunity to bring a cuppa and come together with others who are actively working on wellbeing, happiness and kindness. Next meet, 13 July
- The Power of Humility, Tuesday 14 July. Join internationally acclaimed speaker, author and editor – and NOW Trustee – Satish Kumar to hear about the power of humility to shift us from separation to union.
- In Hawkwood’s first podcast series Stories that Matter, changemakers, thinkers, and innovators discuss the stories that have influenced them, their visions for the future and the actions they are taking to change the world
- We Need Radical Imagination. Discover why imagination is not only an antidote to hopelessness, but a source of power
- The artist who built a ‘new economy’ built on trust and generosity. How a sticking plaster for a wounded industry led to a global microeconomy.
Innovative Community Responses:
- The global call for sharing. On Monday 6 July we celebrate the launch of the Share Shed – the world’s first mobile library of things, in Devon. This new venture is part of a fast-growing, global movement which acknowledges the need for a different way of being and consuming
- Growing Confidence, Tuesday 7 July at 12:30pm. A workshop on confidence and how to cultivate it in the people and communities around you
- Listen deeply together and share from the heart at our next Listening Space, Tuesday 14 July at 7:30pm. Offered in partnership with The Heart Movement.
- How can we help communities to be more resilient in the face of crises? How can we build back better to ensure the goodness and strengths that are out there are harnessed for wellbeing? Catch the replay of our webinar, Community Action for Health and Wellbeing
- Discover how our pioneering project the Share Shed is supporting people and communities to become more resourceful and sustainable
- Want to set up a library of things in your community? Discover a great collection of helpful resources here.
Regular / Ongoing Wellbeing Events + Resources:
- Join the Heart Movement’s morning mindfulness sessions every weekday at 8am. Please register here
- Free Online Coaching Programme from Action for Happiness. Boost your wellbeing during the crisis.
Looking Further Ahead:
- Creativity and Arts for Health and Wellbeing, Tuesday 21 July at 7:30pm. The next webinar in NOW’s Wellbeing Together webinar series. Watch out for the event link on our facebook page
- Schumacher Institute Lectures. An online lecture series that’s giving a new generation of sustainability thinkers and practitioners a platform.
Thank You and Please Share Your Wellbeing News and Events With Us!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post; we hope you found it useful. We’d love this blog to be part of a wider conversation on how people are caring for personal and collective wellbeing in these rapidly changing times.
We’d love to invite you to share your wellbeing-related news and events with us using the hashtag #WellbeingTogether and tagging us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Sending gratitude to you for your care for wellbeing!